Welcome to the Governors section of the website.
The governing body currently consists of the following members:
Term of Office: 26/03/2021 to 25/03/2025 (Fifth Term)
Term of Office: 20/09/2021 to 19/09/2025 (Fourth term)
Local Authority Governor and Vice-Chair
Term of Office:18/03/2019 to 17/03/2021 (Third term, formerly Parent Governor)
Chair of Governors
Term of Office: 28/09/2021 to 27/09/2025
Term of Office: 18/03/2019 to 17/03/2023
Term of Office: 23/11/2020 to 22/11/2024
Term of Office: 15/06/2020 to 14/06/2024
Clerk to the Governors
Co-opted Governor and Chair of the Curriculum Committee
Term of Office: 27/01/2020 to 26/01/2024
Vacancies for Two Co-opted Governors
Our Governing Body’s remit is to:
- Ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction for the school
- Hold the headteacher and senior leadership team to account for the educational performance of the schools and their pupils and the performance management of staff
- Oversee the financial performance of the school; ensuring funding is well spent
Monitoring and evaluating the school’s performance and success play a significant role for our Governing Body. We have a detailed monitoring schedule linked to the school’s Raising Attainment Plan. These visits ensure governors have a thorough understanding of the life and workings of the schools and are to both support and challenge the senior leadership team.
The Appointment of Governors
Our governors are drawn from parents and carers, the wider community and school staff and are appointed for a four-year term of office. Co-opted governors are appointed, based on their skill set, by the Governing Body; parents and carers elect parent governors, and staff governors are elected by school staff.
If you are interested in being a governor at our school, please contact the Clerk to Governors in the first instance: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The links below provide information about the governor role. We currently have one co-opted governor vacancy and would be pleased to hear from anyone who’d like to learn more about how they might contribute to our school’s continued success as a governor, especially those from outside the immediate school community.
To contact the Chair of Governors, please write care of the school address which is
William Barnes Primary School, Bridge Street, Sturminster Newton, DT10 1BZ Unchanged: William Barnes Primary School, Bridge Street, Sturminster Newton, DT10 1BZ
Please find links below for recent minutes of the school’s governing body meetings and other governor-related information.
- Information about the roles, responsibilities and the committee structure of the governing body
- Summary of the register of business interests
- Meeting attendance records
- The Governors’ Financial Statement 2020-21
- For Financial Benchmarking information about William Barnes Primary School, please visit the Schools’ Financial Benchmarking Service
- The Governors’ Code of Conduct
- Governor Visits Protocol
Full Governing Body Minutes
- FGB 27th June 2022
- FGB 28th March 2022
- FGB 22nd November 2021
- FGB 20th September 2021
- FGB 28th June 2021
- FGB 8th March 2021
- FGB 23rd November 2020
- FGB 21st September 2020
(If you would like to see more minutes, please contact the Clerk to the Governors via the school office)