The following school vision for P.E. was agreed by the staff, parents and governors in spring 2014 as part of our commitment to the Sporting Premium Funding.
At William Barnes Primary School we believe that the Physical Education curriculum should:
- be fun, social and exhilarating so that all children are keen to participate and exercise to help them become fit and healthy
- develop cooperative teamwork, confidence, self belief and the ability to win and lose with dignity in preparation for future life
- encourage self acceptance, positive body image, coordination, strength, stamina, flexibility and the desire for self improvement
- be well planned, differentiated and include a broad range of activities including competitive sport, gymnastics, Yoga and dance, health and fitness related activities, outdoor and adventurous activities as well as novel and innovative sports
- be taught by teachers and coaches who act as role models by being enthusiastic and energetic
All children should be given the opportunity to take part in competitive sport during curriculum time. For those children with higher ability, the school will provide opportunities for them to take part in out of school matches, competitions and trials. The school will also endeavor to put talented children in touch with local clubs so that they can develop their sporting skills with specialist coaching outside of school.